Saturday 11 August 2012

Day 12 - VVVVVV and Dear Esther

VVVVVV

This platformer is similar in looks and style to Super Meat Boy, but with a slighter lower difficulty. The game is of very simple design, giving very few options and just generally feeling old. This was also the only game I've played so far that didn't support steam screenshots or fraps either, so I was much more limited in my screenshot taking.

Gameplay is fast-paced platforming. You have three controls, left, right and action. The Action button does the basic things such as progressing the text and activating menus, but in gameplay this button reverses gravity for you. This means the majority of puzzles involve flipping the world around to get by obstacles. This makes the game simple and fast paced, but challenging nonetheless.

The world is fairly unique for a platformer. Each screen represents one tiny section of the world, and the levels are tucked into different corners. If you look at the map I uncovered (potential spoilers, I guess, don't click if you want to explore on your own), you'll see that there are different colored areas that represent the levels, typically a series of rooms you must take on in order. The grey area represents the overworld, and your oportunity to locate other levels. Just to make sure you don't get loes, computer screens will show you key areas on the map.

Despite the very basic graphics and the fact that it's a platformer, I really enjoyed this game. It's simple but challenging, and fast-paced and action packed. The one-big map is definitely cool and reminds me of Castlevania. I will likely come back to this game when I'm looking for simple platforming.

Dear Esther

Originally a mod, Dear Esther was recently remade as an indie title. There isn't much game to this title, which bills itself as a "pure story-driven experience", in fact I was able to beat the whole thing in 70 minutes. You're given free reign to explore the largely linear island, and occasionally the narrator reads from some letters. The controls are very simple, WASD to move, Q to swim up and that's it. Your character walks at a normal pace, giving you ample opportunity to admire the surrounding landscape.

Speaking of landscape, it's gorgeous. This is the source engine at it's finest. So much effort was put into every little bit of the island, with amazing detail. The landscape is bright and lively, the caves are amazing and unique and the sights are breathtaking. Even the insides of long abandoned buildings are detailed with little touches that add to the detail. Dear Esther is littered with tiny details so subtle you probably won't notice them the first time. Check out the album for more screenshots, but be warned, the screenshots encapsulate the majority of the game. I avoided taking any screenshots of the subtitles, to not give away anything, but the pictures themselves show me progressing through the entirety of the extremely short experience.


I guess this one counts as complete, because I was able to beat the whole thing. I'm not counting it towards the 10 games I've set as my goal, however, as the who experience was done in a little over one hour. I definitely suggest experiencing this game for yourself, but not at $10.



 

Notes

I'm still playing CiM. I'm into the second scenario of the Munich Madness campaign. This one sets you up with a much better metro system, which I've expanded upon, so I'm now filthy, stinking rich.

Album: Steam Challenge - Day 012

No comments:

Post a Comment